Make the switch from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro to start off 2021.
While Washington State and King County Covid-19 stay-at-home restrictions remain in place, the King County GIS Training program is still in operation with all classes offered live online. Our next offering is ArcGIS Pro Quickstart for the GIS Professional, on January 12-13. This is the same class that we offer in our King Street Center Computer Training room.
How does KCGIS online GIS training work? Classes are taught live via Zoom. Registered students receive a copy of the student course workbook a few days before the class begins. We reduced the total number of students for each class to allow the instructor to work effectively with individual students on class exercises. The only major change is that students need their own computer with an ArcGIS Pro license to follow along with the class exercises. After the class, students receive a course completion certificate verifying GISP points and CEU credits earned. Students also have one-on-one access to the instructor for up to 30 minutes for 30 days after the class, to answer any follow-up questions or for help putting their learning to work.
Overview: ArcGIS Pro Quickstart for the GIS Professional – January 12-13
Those who are comfortable with ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) and want to learn how to use ArcGIS Pro, Esri’s next-generation GIS software, in order to incorporate it as part of their overall GIS arsenal.
- Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro
- An overview of the ArcGIS platform and how ArcGIS Pro fits
- Opening and navigating a project in the software
- Starting Your Project
- Create a project and add maps and data
- Work with layers in the new environment of ribbons, panes, and views
- Working with Layers
- Set transparency and scale dependency
- Create unique value and graduated color legends
- Label maps
- Connecting to a Portal
- Explore the relationship between ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online/Portal
- Learn how to share content between them
- Working in 3D
- Convert 2D maps to 3D maps
- Understand the difference between 3D in Pro compared to 3D Analyst in ArcMap
- Analysis and Geoprocessing
- Organization and functionality of analysis tools in Pro
- Geoprocessing and Network Analyst tools, ModelBuilder, Python, and raster functions
- Managing and Editing Data
- Editing environment and capabilities
- Editing tab and the Create Features and Modify Features panes
- Compare layout capabilities in ArcGIS Pro with ArcMap
- Create multiple layouts within a project, 3D map frames, and more
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Attendees should have knowledge of Microsoft Windows® and have a comfortable working knowledge of the use of ArcGIS Desktop, including the topics covered in both the Fundamentals of ArcGIS and Intermediate GIS Concepts classes.
What You Will Receive
- 15 hours of instruction from a CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer (CTT).
- Online sessions: attendees must provide own computer and ArcGIS Pro software, appropriate Student license and access to training data will be provided.
- A TeachMeGIS student workbook (to keep) which includes the lecture slides, exercises, and a DVD of the training data.
- Upon completion, a signed completion certificate which will indicate the CEUs (1.5) and GISCI points (0.375) earned.
- KCGIS Center’s 30 for 30 Support—30 minutes of phone, email, or face-to-face support within 30 days after class completion. This is our commitment to you to help ensure that you can apply your new GIS skills successfully.