Time, space, and money are each finite and interconnected. They impact each decision that we make. GIS is the optimal tool to help companies, agencies, students, and researchers discover how to best utilize their finite resources.
ArcGIS Desktop is still the workhorse software tool that most agencies and companies use for the bulk of their GIS work.
ArcGIS Desktop is a powerful and complex tool for viewing and analyzing data. With so much functionality available in the software, it can be difficult to get started. Our 2-day class on March 26-27 teaches essential skills for being efficient with ArcGIS for Desktop . Explore GIS data through ArcMap and create maps to illustrate relationships in the data. Learn methods of displaying data with symbols and text. See how to ask questions of the data and get answers.
This class is primarily for those who are new to GIS and want to learn the basics of Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop software.
Here is what we’ll cover in Fundamentals of ArcGIS Desktop:
- Introduction to GIS: Understand the components, goals, and reasons so many professionals use GIS.
- What is GIS?
- Working in ArcMap
- ArcMap Basics: Interact with the data in the map and understand ArcGIS terms.
- Essential Tools
- Using Symbology to Analyze the Data: Change the appearance of the map to communicate the right information effectively.
- Symbolizing Vector & Raster Data
- Image Analysis Window
- Designing Your Map for Presentation: Design *.pdf and printed maps.
- Data View and Layout View
- Designing the Page
- Adding Elements to Explain the Data
- Exporting and Printing
- Understanding GIS Data Types: Understand the data behind the map, including the difference between a shapefile and a geodatabase feature class, and learn about how to find GIS data online.
- Finding Data
- Accessing and Managing Data
- GIS Data
- Documenting Your Data
- Asking Questions of Your Data: Ask questions of your data, such as, “Where are the hospitals with the most trauma patients?” and get answers like, “The average number of trauma patients in this area is…”
- Selecting Features
- Interactive Selection
- Select by Attributes
- Select by Location
- Using the Selection
- Optimizing the Display of Your Data: Emphasize patterns or trends in the data, filter schools by type, add text to the map, save and re-use data display settings.
- Layer Organization
- Layer Properties
- Layer Files
- Tables and Analysis: View data tables in ArcMap. Start with an Excel spreadsheet of coordinates and end with a map of recent earthquake points. Learn how to buffer hurricane paths or clip out just the police stations from a specific county.
- Working with Tables
- Plotting Coordinates
- Address Geocoding
- Basic Geoprocessing
What You Will Receive
Our Students Speak
“Great introduction—I liked the combination of lecture, textbook, and exercises. The exercises were especially efficient in touching on many different aspects without going into too much detail. Thanks!”
“Well done. I put my GIS skills to use the first week back on the job. Thank you!”
“Good simple explanations. Tough but doable exercises”
“This class is for anyone needing to make accurate maps containing data appropriate for their needs and to share with others who may not be able to get the information accurately and in one place.”
Register today for Fundamentals of ArcGIS Desktop on March 26-27, in our conveniently located training facility in downtown Seattle. Put the workhorse power of ArcGIS to work for you, and your career.
To learn more about the King County GIS Training program visit our website.